A rich collection of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s most profound and moving sermons.
Many people think of Dietrich Bonhoeffer as primarily an activist-theologian. Yet, Bonhoeffer spent most of his public life as a pastor. His sermons are disarmingly eloquent and superbly crafted; through them his deep understanding of the gospel and passion for the Christian life shine through with stunning brilliance.
Comprising 31 sermons, The Collected Sermons of Dietrich Bonhoeffer demonstrate the German pastor’s homiletical mastery by providing sermons from various biblical genres while also showing the depth of his insight into specific texts by providing multiple sermons from specific passages such as 1 Corinthians 13 and Colossians 3.1-4. Bonhoeffer’s sermons will exude a much different flavor than Americans tend to expect, but their rich applicability to life will prove quite appealing to the American reader.
Far different from Bonhoeffer’s academic work or books such as the Cost of Discipleship Bonhoeffer’s sermons show the man in his immediate context, reacting to real events and applying the Gospel in real time. This book will introduce readers to Bonhoeffer the minister through his own sermons and will help all readers grasp his message at a deeper level. Each sermon is freshly translated and appropriately introduced–with partiuclar emphasis on Bonhoeffer’s circumstances–by scholar Isabel Best.
This book will serve all readers well and will be particularly appreciated by Bonhoeffer enthusiasts, from academic to laity.
The Collected Sermons of Dietrich Bonhoeffer will also make an excellent gift, especially for those who recently become to know his story of faithfulness through resistance.
- God is with Us (Matthew 28:20)
- Waiting at the Door (Revelation 3:20)
- National memorial Day (Matthew 24:6-14)
- The Promised Land (Genesis 32:24-31; 3310)
- God is Love (1 John 4.16)
- Lazarus and the Rich Man (Luke 16:19-31)
- Risen with Christ (Colossians 3.1-4)
- The Things that are Above (Colossians 3.1-4)
- Overcoming Fear (Matthew 8.23-27)
- Gideon: God is my Lord (Judges 6:15-16; 7.2; 8.23)
- The Joy of Ascension (1 Peter 1.7b-9)
- Who Do you Say that I Am? (Matthew 16.13-18)
- Ambassadors for Christ (2 Corinthians 5.20)
- Turning Back (2 Corinthians 5.10)
- As a Mother Comforts her Child (Wisdom 3.3)
- Come, O Rescuer (Luke 21.28)
- My Spirit Rejoices (Luke 1.46-55)
- Beginning with Christ (Luke 9.57-62)
- Repent and Do not Judge (Luke 13.1-5)
- Come unto Me (Matthew 11.28-30)
- …And Have Not Love (1 Corinthians 13.1-3)
- What Love Wants (1 Corinthians 13.4-7)
- Must I be Perfect? (1 Corinthians 13.8-12)
- A Church that Believes, Hopes, and Loves (1 Corinthians 13.13)
- My Strength is Made Perfect in Weakness (2 Corinthians 12.9)
- Lord, Help my Unbelief (Mark 9.23-24)
- Forgiveness (Matthew 18.21-35)
- The Betrayer (Matthew 26.45b-50
- Loving our Enemies (Romans 12.16c-21)
- The Gift of Faith (Mark 9.24)
- Death is Swallowed up in Victory (1 Corinthians 15.55)